Mmmmhhhmmmmm….. the smell of freshly baked bread! Isn’t it awesome? I am sick of the bread that I get to buy here in the store. It tastes like rubber, smells weird and I get bloated when eating it. I made my own bread and rolls a couple of times already and I will share my recipe here so you can try it if you like. My bread is let’s say “healthier” and more satisfying and the most important thing is you know exactly what is in it. NO chemicals added. Le’t dive right in.
Serves 12 rolls
1 hrPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1.3lbs or 600g spelt wheat (Dinkelmehl) FYI: My mom just told me that you cannot use Rye wheat because Rye wheat ONLY works with sourdough!
- 1 cube of fresh yeast (or two small bags of dried yeast)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- approximately 1 3/4 cups of water (400ml) - you might have to add a bit more
- Put 1 1/4 cup of water in big bowl (warm the water up a bit) and put the yeast in. Mix it all up so there are no clots
- Now add the flour and mix it all up. Knead the dough.
- Preheat oven to 475 Fahrenheit (250 Celsius)
- Add the rest of the water and the salt
- Knead some more until the dough is nice and firm
- Leave the dough in the bowl and put a clean dish towel on top of the bowl to cover it and let dough rest for approximately 30 minutes (preferably at a warm spot)
- After 30 minutes your dough should have doubled in size
- Knead once again and form approximately 12 rolls out of it. Set them aside on the table and let rest once more
- Take a baking tray and grease it with oil (I used regular olive oil)
- Put whatever type of seeds you want to add on a small plate. I used pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. Mix them all up
- Now take a baking/pastry brush and put a bit of water on top of your rolls. Take each roll in your hand and place the part with the water onto the plate with the seeds so the top of your roll will be covered nicely
- Place your seed covered roll onto greased baking tray
- Let them rest for 10 more minutes.
- Put your rolls in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Done!
The same you can do as an entire loaf of bread btw. You just knead the dough, same ingredients as above and put in Bread Loaf Pan. Cover with seeds as you prefer. For the bread bake on 475 Fahrenheit (250 Celsius) for 20 minutes. Then on 392 Fahrenheit (200 Celsius) for approximately 40 minutes. Done!
Enjoy with butter, homemade jam and a glass of red wine.